Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Introduction: Rebuilding Ireland Inc.

I have long believed that coalition of experienced business executives could add some tremendous value to building and better shaping Ireland Inc. than many of the people tasked with this challenge.

In light of current events I thought it might be a good time to try something along these lines and LinkedIn seems a perfect place to get things started.

RebuildingGiven my own particular interests, I believe that we have a tremendous competence in the private sector of managing large, complex national and multinational business but the evidence as presented in our public sector shows us to be bordering on a third world country.

With all due respect to the academic and consulting advisors who provide certain but insufficient expertise, I’d like to see a “board of expert practitioners” available to the government to bring real expertise to solving many of the problems that exist in the economy.

I have set up a group on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1801970&trk=hb_side_g) If you are interested then I’d appreciate it if you’d join the group, (LinkedIn is free to join www.linkedin.com ) promote it and make great suggestions!

Regards
Alex McDonnell

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alex,
    It's an honour to find myself first to comment. Congratulations. How good it is to see someone beginning to harness the power of the internet for such an important purpose.

    Perhaps there would be no harm in us using Facebook as well and linking the two. I bet there is someone out there who'd know how to do this. Being able to link all the social networking tools so as to focus energy and imagination is what it's all about, I'd say.

    Over on David McWilliams blog I said that even if I disagreed with your suggestions, I would still support your initiative. I mean it.

    Would you mind clarifying who belongs to your "public sector"? And your "private sector"? I'd like to understand your view and the terminology can mean one thing to one person and another to another.

    I love "world class master practitioners". It tickles my fancy. "World class" has become a bit of a cliche I think. But I imagine you mean it exactly. Irish people who are best-in-class... as good as you'll find anywhere...

    "Practitioners" suggests that they are doing it already - doing more than aspiring. J P McManus springs to my mind. Bill Cullen? I could do with a list of Irish business people who have proved themselves excellent at business, and excellent at facing up to social responsibility, who have a track record that will stand up to scrutiny.

    There will be those who are excellent but have not yet proved it, who can't point to a track record yet. Those who aspire and who can point to evidence of having the right processes in place. Process heroes... young people who could show their expertise in arenas other than business. We need to think ahead and engage our leaders of the future.

    Again thanks for taking on such responsibility, for stepping up to the mark and putting your reputation on the line. We need people like you to give leadership.

    ReplyDelete